Monday, May 4, 2015

On The Road To Washington DC...First Day...

Me, Christie and the Crew
All systems GO!  After the final check to make sure I had the car in the correct towing position (lesson learned), RV loaded, dogs secured on the bed, jacks raised, food in the ice chest, Christie locked her front door to her apartment. We climbed in, put on our seat belts and I turned the ignition key.  Izzy started to life with a lovely purr. I released her brake and slipped her into gear. Ten o'clock in the morning and all is well.  

Traffic in Kansas City at that time in the morning was not bad. We had set "Hetty" my Garmin
Hetty, my Garmin, Name sound familiar? NCIS:LA
She may be small, but she be mighty!
to navigate us through St. Louis, MO to I-64. The trip was uneventful so to speak.


I had enough gas to get us to the first Pilot-Flying J truck stop.  I really think that Truck stops should put in a pump for big rig gas guzzlers.  Trying to navigate the car pump lanes with a 35' Winnebago with a tow is a nightmare or at least have the pumps in a configuration so it is easy to get in and out of. We went through the diesel lanes to get water for the on-board fresh water tank. Christie walked the dogs, I grabbed a quick bite to eat for the both of us and we hit the road again.

We made it into St. Louis by 3 p.m. just before the
Crossing the Mighty Mississippi
beginning of rush hour traffic. Between Christie and Hetty, I made it through traffic with flying colors. 



Gateway Arch in St. Louis
We took I-64 through the bottom of Illinois and Indiana. About 6 p.m. we pulled off the road at Little Nashville and filled up with gas and had a bite to eat at the Little Nashville Diner. The food was okay but the beautiful handmade clocks were outstanding.  
Just a few of the 30+ hand-made clocks at the Little Nashville Diner



I turned the driving over to Christie after dinner and we finally called it a night in a Walmart parking lot in Boonville, IN around 11:00 p.m. after having put on 427 miles on the odometer. Our longest day of the trip. 

Christie walked the dogs one last time, then it was lights out.

Stay tuned for more...


3 comments:

  1. When you say "have the car in the correct towing position" do you really mean make sure the car isn't in park so that I'm not dragging it behind the RV? :) LOL, Love you mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct dear!!! LOL! We had some great experiences didn't we!

      Delete
    2. Correct dear!!! LOL! We had some great experiences didn't we!

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave a message when you visit so I know someone is reading this blog.