Sunday, October 14, 2018

Han's Point of View...Amish Cheese House and Whole Foods

Wow, Mom just buckled me into my seat in the car and we're off again! I just love traveling in the car, I get to go to such interesting places. I wonder where she will take me next?
In my comfy place in the car


About 35 miles east of Tulsa is the small town of Chouteau, Oklahoma just north of Highway 412. In the area there is a thriving Amish community. Mom's sister-n-law, Karen, told her about this cheese, bakery and restaurant place called the Amish Cheese House, located about 5 minutes north of the highway just before the first stoplight on the west side of the main drag. 
Amish Cheese House in Chouteau Oklahoma

Mom loves grass fed rolled butter from cows and this is the only place so far in Oklahoma she has found that she can find it.  Otherwise she has to go to either Kansas City or Longview, Texas to get it.  Auntie Karen says it is wonderful and so fresh. The best they have ever had. It comes in two pound Rolls. I know Mom was so happy to get some. 
This butter is so good! So says Mom
When we got in the store two little boys came running up to me and the youngest one started to pet me (which is a no, no). Mom was real sweet and explained to the boys that I was a service dog, that means I help my mom, and I must not be distracted from my job while I am working. That is why I wear a special vest to tell people that I am working.  

Then a young girl came up and mom talked to her as well. She was very nice, she helped my mom find some things in the store.  We went through the store and tasted lots of samples. Mom also bought a yummy cinnamon butter spread for her toast. At least she said it was yummy as I am not allowed to taste it. 
Yummy Cinnamon Spread


We left the store and went back into Tulsa to the Whole Foods store at 41st and Peoria. Mom said it brought back a lot of memories for her as the back part of the store use to be a place called Joe's and that is where Mom and her love, Dave, had their first drink 47 years ago. Wish I could have known him. Mom says he was the best!
Buffalo Bones for Bone Broth

Mom was shopping for grass fed beef bones and got grass fed buffalo bones to make bone broth with instead.  The Whole Foods store in Oklahoma City was out of them and so she thought she would check with the Tulsa store while there. I love going into the store. I like seeing all the neat things that are in there, besides I like walking beside Mom's electric cart. People in there are so nice, however Mom and I saw a man being pursued by store employees as he was trying to shoplift a whole basket of food. I think he might have gotten away with a roast, but left everything else behind. The store employees were filming him on their cameras. Mom says you never know what causes a person to steal, I guess he was hungry.  

After we got the bones for broth, we got on the road back to Oklahoma City. Mom decided to go through Henrietta and back on I-40 as there was a lot of construction on the Turner Turnpike. Half way back Mom got real tired and said she was having trouble staying awake. So she pulled off the road at a big gas station and she and I took naps. She said she slept about an hour and felt so much better.  We got back to Norman around 6:45 p.m. and she fixed me a big bowl of food and I woofed it down and she had some dinner. 

It was a long day, but she did good and I am a happy hound.
🐾

Mom here...I learned a long time ago not to try and fight it when you are tired. Just find a safe place to pull off and take a nap. You will be so glad you did and will arrive at your destination safe and sound, late maybe, but alive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave a message when you visit so I know someone is reading this blog.