Sunday, April 2, 2017

#AtoZchallenge...B-Beyond the Beyond...

While sitting in my motorhome thinking about nothing really, but about everything and how I got to this point. Where do I want to go on my adventures?  What do I want to do? What do I want to see? What is out there beyond the beyond? 

How did I start this journey?  After Dave passed away I knew I had to continue the journey that we had planned for, talked about, started downsizing for. If I didn't, I would become stagnant, stale and no imagination would revive me. We had started after we came back from a vacation in 2006 and meeting some wonderful people, Bobbie and Jim Chapman who at that time were full-time RVers. They showed us that we could live our dream and live comfortably out on the road, travel and see this country.  We were working toward that when tragedy struck and I no longer had my partner to help see me through this.  However I had my girls who supported my decision to continue the dream their daddy and I had.

After doing some looking, it seemed like I found the perfect motorhome for me. It was exactly what I was looking for and the price was right. Yes, it needed some work, but like any stick and brick home what home doesn't.  Things just seem to fall in place. Some RV friends decided to go from a motorhome to a 5th Wheel and truck and decided they didn't need their toad (car towed behind their motorhome) It was only a year old and already had the tow equipment on it.  I bought it for far less than it was worth. Thanks Earlene and Victor!

I then bought the motorhome for what was left on the bank note, far less than what it was worth. I put new tires on it and brought it up to road worthiness. All the while thinking "What the hell am I doing or think I'm doing? I must be nuts!" However, how was I ever going to know what was out in the beyond if I didn't stick my nose out the door? Will I forever be this scared woman afraid of my shadow if I don't square my shoulders and say "Get with it Smeal, Dave expects better of you!"

Yes Dave would have expected better of me.  I had to learn how to drive all over again.  I know that sounds strange, but true. Dave did all the driving...everywhere!  If I had to go somewhere Dave took me. So for 17 years Dave pretty much did all the driving.  It was quite something for me to be driving again.  I was not use to it, how was I going to drive a behemoth like a 35ft. motorhome? I had driven a 15ft van before and towed a trailer in my concession days. Now I was going to drive a 35ft motorhome and tow a car behind it. 49ft in all. Oh bother!  I have had more women come up to me and say they couldn't do it, they're too afraid. Really, there is nothing to be afraid of, matter of fact it's kind of fun! I really enjoy it. The only time I don't enjoy it is when there is heavy truck traffic and high wind and rain. I will not drive in rain...period!

Learning about my motorhome is ongoing. There is always something new to learn about it. Something that must be done to keep it in shape, just like a home. But that is to be expected. 
Otherwise it would fall apart in short order.

What is out there in the beyond? What do I want to do? Well I have one trip under my belt, a trip to Washington DC that I am still blogging about. Several RV rallies, a couple of camping trips and several winter stays down south.

Where do I want to go?
The Grand Canyon
Big Bend National Park
The Grand Tetons
Colorado, Southfork, Big Meadow
Alaska
Alberta
The Great Southwest
The Great Northwest
British Columbia, to see Dave's sister
Oregon, to see a friend
Back to Washington DC
Do a fall foliage tour of the East
Visit natural hot springs and soak in them
See more of Oklahoma
See more of Texas
Just GO BY GOLLY!

The one thing about being out on the road, you meet the nicest people. I have joined several RV clubs and have partaken in the activities the clubs provide and have had a wonderful time doing so.

So what is out beyond the beyond? Anything I want it to be. My imagination, to explore what I want to explore. I have met many solo women RVers who travel the open road exploring their beyond. What is your beyond? Are you willing to find out?

Okay...What will C bring us tomorrow?

Happy trails!

3 comments:

  1. Selling the car to you worked for all of us. Glad it's still exploring! Our Beyond keeps changing. We've relocated our winter 'spot' to Texas from Arizona to be able to check on my mom more often. Still have our list of places to go. Who knows what we will see 'Out Our Window Today' next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to keep looking beyond to keep things fresh and exciting. To keep young in spirit, body and mind. Exciting isn't it!

      Delete
  2. I've been so proud of you - knowing and understanding everything you're going through. You chose a bigger rig than I, I never liked driving anything but a compact car. LOL! You're doing great!

    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave a message when you visit so I know someone is reading this blog.