Saturday, April 8, 2017

#atozchallenge20...H - Hopewell Furnace

Sunday was beautiful with a crisp blue sky, a bit coolish but perfect for a day of exploring, after having breakfast with my cousin Jill, I went on a fishing expedition to find my cousin Harriett's Meat
Building built in the 1700's
Market in Pottstown. Find it I did.  I left a note on the door for her to call me as she was not aware I was in town and I wanted to get together and have lunch with her and her daughter Sue.  


On the spur of the moment while heading back to the campground I decided to stop at St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church and attend services. I was a few minutes late, but never have I felt so welcomed at a church. I was truly amazed and the church was
The original church built in 1801
beautiful since it was almost two hundred years old and the stained glass windows were just glorious. Located next to the church was it's own grave yard. Some of the dates on the headstones go back to the early 1700's l will have to do a separate blog on this as it is truly interesting.


After winding through the hardwood forest going to the campground I decided to take a detour and go straight instead of turning right into the park. I kept seeing signs for Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site. What better time to see this little slice of Americana.  I took the winding road and came around the corner to a pastoral scene of a long hand hewed split-rail fence with sheep grazing in a lush green pasture.  Up at the top of the hill was the visitor center. There was plenty of parking for all sizes of vehicles. I happened to be in my car a 2013 Honda CR-V which is just the right size for sight seeing and running about.

Inside the Visitor Center is a small theater and a very nice museum with lots of relics. A 20 minute film was getting ready to start. It was well made and talked about the history of the area and the importance it played during the American Revolution as it was the only munitions plant in the colonies. Not only did Hopewell Furnace make munitions but cast-iron stoves as well. 
Some of the stove made at Hopewell

A lot of the buildings and area have been restore and there's a nice self-guided walking tour.  I decided not to take it at this time as my back was not up to the physical demands without someone to help me. 

There is a lot of beautiful countryside to explore around the historic site. Plan to spend the day and be sure to pack a picnic lunch. 



4 comments:

  1. What a great day of exploring!

    H: Hawaii & Honduras
    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting historic sites. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to visit historic places in the spur of the moment. Unplanned trips are often the best.

    Emily | My Life In Ecuador | Humpback Whales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hitting the back roads and exploring.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers. Please leave a message when you visit so I know someone is reading this blog.